The Valpo softball team played its final non-conference game of the season Wednesday afternoon with a trip to DeKalb, Ill., where host Northern Illinois came away with a 9-3 victory.
How It Happened
- Valpo took the lead in its first time at the plate. Sophomore Ryan Milkowski (Olathe, Kan./Olathe West) increased her team-high walk total with a one-out free pass and eventually came around to score on an RBI single from freshman Ashlyn Betz (Alton, Ill./Alton).
- Northern Illinois scored a pair of unearned runs in the bottom of the second to pull ahead, 2-1.
- Valpo evened the score in the top of the third as junior Peyton Moeder (Shawnee, Kan./Mill Valley) circled the bases 60 feet at a time. Moeder drew a free pass, stole second, moved up to third on a sacrifice bunt and scored on a sac fly from Milkowski.
- The Huskies took the lead for good with seven runs in the bottom of the third.
- Valpo plated its final run in the sixth, when junior Taylor Herschbach (Lockport, Ill./Lockport Township) led off the inning with a walk and later scored on an NIU error.
Inside the Game
- Senior Addi Burke (Mesquite, Texas/John Horn) reached base twice Wednesday, going 1-for-2 with a walk.
- Each of the top four hitters in the Valpo lineup drew a free pass from Huskies pitching.
- Betz has now tallied a hit in each of her three starts over the last three games and has four RBIs over the last two games.
- Moeder’s stolen base was her team-high fifth of the season.
Valpo (5-22) returns home for a three-game conference series against Missouri State this weekend. The series opens with a twinbill Saturday afternoon, with first pitch of game one slated for noon.