The Valpo softball team brought its three-day weekend in Louisville, Ky. to a close on Monday, falling to Eastern Illinois, 10-0.
How It Happened
- After a perfect top of the first inning defensively, junior Regi Hecker (Lee’s Summit, Mo./Blue Springs South) led off the bottom of the frame with a single and moved over to third with just one out. But Hecker was unable to advance the final 60 feet to get Valpo on the board.
- Eastern Illinois grabbed three runs in the top of the second to open the scoring.
- The Beacon defense prevented the Panthers from adding to their lead in the top of the third, as with runners on the corners and nobody out, Valpo turned a double play which eliminated the lead runner.
- The Beacons had a golden opportunity to cut into the EIU lead or possibly jump in front in the bottom of the third, loading the bases with one out on an EIU error and a pair of singles. But the Panthers came home on an infield grounder to force Valpo’s lead runner, and a pop-up ended the threat.
- EIU scored multiple runs in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings to close out the game.
Inside the Game
- Hecker ended up reaching base successfully in eight straight plate appearances dating back to Saturday with her first-inning single. While she reached on an error in her second time at bat Monday, that ends the on-base streak.
- Valpo was limited to just four hits, two of which came off the bat of senior Lauren Kehlenbrink (Ballwin, Mo./Parkway South).
- The Beacons turned their seventh double play of the season with their third-inning twin killing. Their pace of 0.50 double plays/game is tied for 17th nationally.
- Senior Easton Seib (Blue Springs, Mo./Blue Springs South) took the loss in the circle, falling to 2-5 on the year.
Valpo (3-11) heads to Eastern Kentucky for its final weekend of preconference play. The Beacons will play the Colonels three times over two days, beginning with a doubleheader on Saturday, March 11.