The Valpo softball team took to the field for the final time before the start of conference play on Wednesday afternoon in Urbana, Ill., falling by a 9-0 final to Illinois.
How It Happened
- Illinois scored a pair of runs on sacrifice flies in the bottom of the first to open the scoring.
- Taylor Herschbach (Lockport, Ill./Lockport Township) led off the top of the second with a base hit up the middle, but was erased on a double play. Emily Crompton (Salem, Ill./Christ Our Rock Lutheran) drew a walk in that frame as well.
- Starting pitcher Caitlin Kowalski (Temperance, Mich./Notre Dame Academy) retired six Illini batters in a seven-batter stretch spanning the first and second innings, including a shutout second inning.
- Illinois scored four runs in the third and three in the fourth to close the scoring.
Inside the Game
- Wednesday’s game was Valpo’s first at Illinois since 2003.
- Herschbach has reached base at least once in eight of Valpo’s last nine games.
- Crompton has drawn four walks over the last four games.
- Kowalski tossed the first three innings Wednesday, while Easton Seib (Blue Springs, Mo./Blue Springs South) threw the final frame.
Valpo (3-15) is slated to open MVC play Friday afternoon at Southern Illinois. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m., with the game broadcasted on ESPN+.