The Valpo softball team opened up the Missouri Valley Conference schedule on Friday afternoon with a doubleheader at Southern Illinois, falling to the host Salukis by scores of 11-0 and 12-0.
How It Happened – Game One
- Southern Illinois opened the scoring with five runs in the first and added two more in the second.
- The Beacons got a pair of runners in scoring position in the third, as their first two batters of the inning reached via walk and moved up on a sacrifice bunt. But back-to-back strikeouts kept Valpo from putting any runs on the board.
- SIU capped the scoring with four runs in the third.
- Senior Lauren Kehlenbrink (Ballwin, Mo./Parkway South) knocked a base hit into the left-center gap with two outs in the fifth for Valpo’s first hit of the game.
How It Happened – Game Two
- SIU scored five runs in the first to go ahead for good.
- The Salukis added three runs apiece in the second and third innings.
- Freshman Kim Rodas (San Bernardino, Calif./Cajon) dropped a single down the right-field line to open the fifth inning for the Beacons’ first baserunner.
Inside the Games
- Friday’s twinbill came against a Southern Illinois team which entered the weekend with the MVC’s best record at 19-3.
- The Valpo offense drew a season-high six walks in the opener, led by two from Rodas.
- Kehlenbrink reached twice in the opener as well, as she drew a walk in addition to her single.
- Sophomore Kaiah Fenters (Speedway, Ind./Speedway) threw three innings over the two games, two of which were shutout frames.
Valpo (3-17, 0-2 MVC) is scheduled to conclude its three-game set at SIU on Sunday. Game time was originally set for noon, but could move later if the temperature hasn’t warmed up enough by scheduled game time.