The Valpo softball team returned home to the Valpo Softball Complex on Friday, falling in its MVC series opener to visiting Missouri State, 9-0.
How It Happened
- Valpo starting pitcher Caitlin Kowalski (Temperance, Mich./Notre Dame Academy) retired the Bears in order in the top of the first.
- Missouri State connected on a two-run homer in the second and then scored an unearned run in the third to pull ahead, 3-0.
- The Beacons got their first runner in scoring position in the bottom of the third as sophomore Kaiah Fenters (Speedway, Ind./Speedway) led off the frame with an infield single and moved over to second on a sacrifice bunt. She was stranded on second, however.
- The Bears broke the game open in the fourth with a four-run inning.
- Junior Emily Crompton (Salem, Ill./Christ Our Rock Lutheran) led off the fifth with a walk and advanced to second on a groundout. Much like Fenters in the third, though, Crompton was unable to advance past second.
- Missouri State closed the scoring with a pair of runs in the sixth.
Inside the Game
- The Beacon offense had a baserunner in each of the six innings (three hits, two walks, one hit by pitch), but was unable to get any of them to third base.
- After missing the first 25 games of the season due to injury, freshman Kaia Garnica (Plainfield, Ill./Plainfield Central) made her collegiate debut on Friday, starting at designated player. Garnica reached base for the first time when she was hit by a pitch in the sixth.
- Freshman Kim Rodas (San Bernardino, Calif./Cajon) saw her seven-game on-base streak come to an end Friday.
Valpo (3-23, 0-7 MVC) will close out the three-game series against Missouri State with a doubleheader on Sunday. First pitch of game one is slated for noon.