The Valpo softball team jumped on top of Colgate with a first-inning run in its tournament finale Sunday at the Runnin’ Bulldog Tournament in Boiling Springs, N.C, but the Raiders scored two in the bottom of the first to take the lead for good as Valpo fell by a 5-2 final.
How It Happened
- A leadoff single from sophomore Peyton Moeder (Shawnee, Kan./Mill Valley) turned into a run in the top of the first on Sunday. Moeder stole second and advanced to third on a throwing error by the Colgate catch, and eventually scored on a grounder from fellow sophomore Taylor Tonoian (Saugus, Calif./Saugus).
- The Raiders took the lead for good in their first at-bat, however. Colgate tied the game as a leadoff single came all the way around to score on a Valpo error, and later in the inning, an RBI groundout gave the Raiders a 2-1 lead.
- Three consecutive hits accounted for a pair of runs for Colgate in the bottom of the fifth inning as it pushed its lead to 4-1.
- Valpo cut into Colgate’s lead in the top of the sixth thanks to a two-out RBI triple by sophomore Jaina Westphal (Waterford, Wis./Burlington), which scored junior Brittany Anderson (East Chicago, Ind./Bishop Noll).
- The Raiders got the run back in their half of the sixth, as a leadoff double came around to score on a groundout to cap the scoring.
Inside the Game
- Moeder reached base three times out of the leadoff spot of the order on Sunday, picking up a pair of base hits and also walking once. The sophomore also stole two bases and now owns a team-high five steals this year, already surpassing her total of four from last season.
- Tonoian reached base twice as well, picking up a single and getting hit by a pitch.
- Westphal’s triple was the first of her Valpo career.
- Senior Emily Richardson (Oak Park, Ill./River Forest) pinch-hit and singled in the seventh inning for her second career hit.
- Senior Jenna Edwards (Winchester, Ky./George Rogers Clark [Chattanooga State C.C.]) took the loss in the circle Sunday, surrendering four runs in her four-plus innings of work.
Valpo (5-5) will take next week off from competition before commencing on its spring break trip with action from the Stetson Invitational Feb. 29.