The Valparaiso University women’s golf team competed in the first round of the Aggie Invitational hosted by New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, N.M. on Monday. Sophomore Madison McCreary (Batesville, Ind. / Batesville) shot a career-best 74 to lead the Crusaders.
How It Happened
- McCreary is tied for eighth individually after her round of two over par.
- Senior Angie Kim (Schaumburg, Ill. / Fremd) turned in a 79 (+7) to rank second among Valpo golfers. She is tied for 35th overall.
- Sophomore Kyle Shoemake (Schererville, Ind. / Lake Central) and freshman Kayla Krueger (Spring Lake, Mich. / Spring Lake) both carded an 82 (+10) on the event’s opening day to tie for 45th after one round.
- Junior Katie Willenbrink (Mishawaka, Ind. / Penn) finished one stroke in back of Shoemake and Krueger. Willenbrink is tied for 51st.
Inside the Rounds
- McCreary got her day off to a favorable start by notching a birdie on the second hole.
- Willenbrink accounted for Valpo’s other birdie by completing a par-5 12th hole in four strokes.
- McCreary, who entered the tournament averaging 82.25, met par on a team-best 14 holes.
The Crusaders will tee off Round 2 of the Aggie Invitational on Tuesday morning. The tournament continues through Wednesday. A link to live stats will be available on ValpoAthletics.com.