The Region’s Division I women’s golf team was led by a local student-athlete for the second consecutive day, as Tiffany Curtis (Crown Point, Ind. / Crown Point) paced Valparaiso at the Golfweek Program Challenge in Pawley’s Island, S.C. on Monday. Curtis now owns the overall team lead through two rounds.
How It Happened
- Curtis continued the first event of her junior season with a 76 in Monday’s second round. She is tied for 45th with a 36-hole score of 156.
- Kayla Krueger (Spring Lake, Mich. / Spring Lake) was just one stroke behind her junior classmate in Round 2 scoring as she turned in a 77 to move into a tie for 53rd at 159 with one round to go.
- Kylie Shoemake (Schererville, Ind. / Lake Central) is second on the team in total tournament score at 157, just one stroke ahead of her fellow Northwest Indiana native – Curtis. Shoemake sits at t-47 through two rounds.
- Shelby Schier (Greenwood, Ind. / Center Grove) is at 168, while Payton Hodson (Middleton, Wis. / Middleton) holds a 36-hole score of 170 in her collegiate debut. Schier knocked two strokes off her Round 1 score with her Round 2 showing on Monday.
Inside the Round
- Valpo made a five-stroke improvement from Sunday’s first round, posting a team score of 317 on Monday. Valpo is at 639 through two rounds.
- Valpo’s top three golfers have all had a round of 77 or better in the tournament.
- Curtis has thrived on Par 5 holes, averaging a 4.88 and going one under par on those holes.
- Valpo has 10 birdies as a team, led by Curtis with four.
Thoughts from Head Coach Jill McCoy
“Tiffany and Kayla both had good rounds and showed improvement from yesterday. I’m confident both will continue to improve tomorrow. Shelby is making steady improvements as well. The rest of the team is working hard on their shortcomings in hopes of improving in tomorrow’s final round.”
Valpo will round out the three-day Golfweek Program Challenge in Pawleys Island, S.C. with the final 18 holes on Tuesday. Live scoring is available via GolfStat.