The Valparaiso University women’s golf team finished out the fall season on Tuesday with the final round of the Braun Intercollegiate in Evansville. Golfing as an individual, freshman Morgan Kier (Brownsburg, Ind. / Brownsburg) finished the fall in style, carding a team-best 78.
How It Happened
- Kier’s 78 allowed her to shave 12 strokes off her Round 1 score and vault into a tie for 40th in the overall standings. Her Tuesday output was the best 18-hole round by any Valpo player on either day of the event.
- Kier’s 78 shattered her previous personal best by three strokes. Valpo now has five different players with a 78 or better this season.
- The top Valpo player among those counting for the team score was Kayla Krueger (Spring Lake, Mich. / Spring Lake), who posted an 18-hole score of 80.
- Freshman Payton Hodson (Middleton, Wis. / Middleton) finished with an 83 on Tuesday and had a team-low 164 for the event. She tied for 27th overall.
- Tiffany Curtis (Crown Point, Ind. / Crown Point) and Kylie Shoemake (Schererville, Ind. / Lake Central) both turned in 85s on Tuesday. Curtis finished the event third on the team at 167, while Shoemake carded a 170 over the two days.
- Valpo’s team score of 333 was exactly even with the score the team posted on Monday. Valpo’s 666 allowed the squad to place 11th of 13, finishing just two strokes out of 10th and seven strokes behind a tie for eighth.
- IUPUI won the event with a team score of 630, while Marion DeBove of the Jaguars was the individual medalist at 146.
Thoughts from Head Coach Jill McCoy
“It was great to see Kayla come back today with an 80. It was also a nice day for Morgan, who had her best collegiate round. It was a tough fall season and we know we have a lot to work on this winter. I know our players look forward to working hard during the winter months and coming out strong in the spring.”
This marks the final day of the fall season for Valpo women’s golf. The team will take three months off from outside competition before returning to the course in February.