Kelsey Eichenauer (North Manchester, Ind. / Manchester) posted the team’s top score as the Valparaiso University women’s golf team competed in Monday’s first two rounds of the Islander Classic, hosted at the par-72, 6112-yard Corpus Christi Country Club in Corpus Christi, Texas.
How It Happened
- Eichenauer boasted a team-best 80 in the opening round before following with an 85 in Round 2 to finish the day at 165, tied for 45th in an 80-player field.
- Sophomore Madison Keil (LaGrange, Ind. / Lakeland) finished second on the team in the opening round with an 83 before tying for the Valpo lead with an 85 in Round 2. She finished the day at 168.
- Freshman Taylor Skibinski (Michigan City, Ind. / Michigan City) was not far behind, finishing a single stroke in back of Keil at 169 over the 36 holes. She carded an 83 in Round 1 followed by an 86 in Round 2.
- As a team, Valpo finished the day at 678, one stroke behind Prairie View A&M for 14th. The Beacons golfed a 334 in Round 1 before finishing the day with a 344 in the afternoon round.
- UT Rio Grande Valley holds the top spot on the team leaderboard at 617, while Houston Christian’s Elise Parel owns the top spot on the player leaderboard at 149.
- Valpo’s best performance has been on par-3 holes with a 3.48 average.
- The Beacons have eight birdies, led by Skibinski with three.
The third and final round of the tournament will take place on Tuesday in Corpus Christi. A link to live scoring via GolfStat is available on ValpoAthletics.com.