The Valparaiso University baseball team had already wrapped up a series victory by virtue of wins on Friday and Saturday, but visiting UIC salvaged the finale of the three-game Missouri Valley Conference set by prevailing on Sunday by a football score of 21-7.
How It Happened
- The Flames started the scoring with six runs in the second inning including a three-run homer by Carson Roberts.
- The game got out of hand in the third when UIC added eight more runs including a two-run homer by Max Farfan to make it 14-0.
- UIC got two more in the top of the fourth, but a solo homer by Jake Skrine (Longmont, Colo. / Mead [Indiana]) down the right-field line in the bottom of the inning got the Beacons on the board.
- Five more runs crossed the plate for UIC in the top of the fifth to make it 21-1.
- Valpo scored four times in the sixth as Ryan Maka (Oak Forest, Ill. / Oak Forest) lifted a sacrifice fly before Thomas Cooper (Brentwood, Tenn. / Ravenwood) drove in two with a single and Alex Ryan (Lake Mills, Wis. / Lakeside Lutheran) singled to drive in a fourth run and make it 21-5.
- Maka continued his recent hot hitting with a two-run homer that stayed fair down the right-field line in the bottom of the seventh to conclude the scoring in the game.
Inside the Game
- Maka homered for the second time in the series and lifted his season total to six. He now owns 11 career home runs.
- Skrine drilled his seventh home run of the season, five of which have come in the last seven games.
- Bright spots from the pitching staff were Cole Syersen (Land O’Lakes, Fla. / Academy at Lakes) and Jonathan Hyman (Bellbrook, Ohio / Bellbrook [Paradise Valley CC / IMG]), who combined for 2 1/3 scoreless innings while allowing no hits and walking one.
- Redshirt freshman Patrick Ilitch (Detroit, Mich. / University Liggett [IMG]) had his first collegiate hit.
Valpo (16-16, 7-8 MVC) will visit Purdue on Tuesday at 5 p.m. CT / 6 p.m. ET. The game will be broadcast on B1G+ with links to live video and stats available on ValpoAthletics.com.