The Valparaiso University baseball team fell 16-0 to Indiana State on Friday afternoon at Emory G. Bauer Field. The Sycamores did all of their scoring in the first four innings in a game that was shortened to seven frames because of the 10-run rule.
How It Happened
- Indiana State (28-22, 10-10) started the game with the bases loaded and nobody out, but settled for one first-inning run on a sacrifice fly by Jarrod Watkins as Trey Ferketic (Laguna Niguel, Calif. / JSerra [UC San Diego]) limited the damage nicely.
- The Sycamores added two on a single by C.J. Huntley in the second, then broke the game wide open with an eight-run third. The inning included three hits batters, three walks and five hits against two different Valpo pitchers.
- Indiana State tacked on five in the fourth including a bases-clearing double to left by Luke Fegen. He was cut down trying to stretch it to a triple on a successful 7-4-5 relay.
- In the bottom of the fourth, Zack Leone (Pelham Manor, N.Y. / Fordham Prep [Susquehanna]) ripped a double down the left-field line for Valpo’s first hit of the day. The Crusaders would notch three more hits, but the Leone double would stand as the team’s lone extra-base knock.
- Chet Joslyn (Battle Creek, Mich. / Lakeview) and Luke VanLanen (Pulaski, Wis. / Pulaski) each tossed scoreless frames for the Crusaders (18-31, 6-14).
Inside the Game
- Sam Shaikin (West Hills, Calif. / Chatsworth) reached base three times, all via walks. As a team, the Crusader offense worked seven walks.
- The double was Leone’s 14th of the season, which ranks second on the team.
- Ferketic took the loss to fall to 4-6, while Indiana State’s Tristan Weaver (3-4) was the winner after six shutout innings of three-hit ball.
The Crusaders and Sycamores will close out the series on Saturday with a 1 p.m. CT first pitch. The Senior Day festivities will begin at 12:25 as the Crusaders honor their 10-member senior class. The game and the Senior Day ceremony can be heard on 95.1 FM Valparaiso, WVUR with Ben Ariano (play-by-play) and Korey Schrock (color commentary) on the call. Links to live audio and stats are available.