The Valparaiso University baseball team dropped the series opener to Georgia Southern on Friday, falling on the short end of an 8-1 contest. Valpo’s bullpen was strong, but the team was unable to overcome an early deficit.
How It Happened
- Georgia Southern started the bottom of the first with three hits and a walk, eventually plating four runs in the game’s opening frame.
- A double, throwing error and wild pitch led to the Eagles’ fifth and sixth runs in the bottom of the second.
- Valpo saw its first eight runners retired before sophomore Jake Kapers (Schererville, Ind./ Mount Carmel) roped a double down the left-field line to give the visitors their first baserunner of the day.
- Zach Fricke (Arlington Heights, Ill./ Buffalo Grove) entered the game in relief in the third inning. Over the next four innings, Fricke held Georgia Southern scoreless while allowing just three baserunners (a hit and two walks) and striking out one.
- After a walk and hit-by-pitch to begin the home half of the fifth, first baseman Kevin Barry (Bartlett, Ill./ South Elgin) put Valpo on board with an RBI single. It would prove to be the team’s only run of the contest.
- After a Jeremy Drudge (Plymouth, Ind./ Plymouth) drew his second walk of the game in the seventh, Barry added a double to put two on with two out, but the two were left stranded after a Kapers flyout.
- The Eagles loaded the bases in the eighth and, after a walk and sacrifice fly, came away with two more runs to enter the final frame up 8-1.
- Valpo drew two walks in the ninth but was unable to bring them home.
Inside the Game
- After coming into the game with just one walk for the season, Drudge drew three free passes in Friday’s contest.
- Riley Dent (Long Beach, Calif./ Wilson) saw his three-game multi-hit streak come to end. He maintains the team lead with a .304 average.
- With his four scoreless frames, Fricke dropped his season ERA by over two runs.
Valpo (1-11) will remain in Statesboro, Ga. for Game 2 of the three-game set versus Georgia Southern. Links to live video and stats are available on ValpoAthletics.com.