The Valparaiso University baseball team dropped both games of a doubleheader on Saturday to No. 23 Indiana State in Terre Haute, falling 11-2 in the opener before incurring a 6-2 setback in the nightcap.
How It Happened
- Indiana State pitcher Connor Cline flirted with a no-hitter in Game 1, a scheduled seven-inning contest, but Jonathan Temple (Turlock, Calif. / Turlock [Modesto JC]) ended that bid and the shutout in one fell swoop with a pinch-hit, RBI double in the top of the seventh. Valpo got its second run on a passed ball later in that inning.
- Valpo first baseman Brady Renfro (Antigo, Wis. / Antigo) was on base throughout Game 1, walking in each of his three plate appearances.
- After Indiana State jumped in front with an opening-inning tally in the nightcap, Riley Dent (Long Beach, Calif. / Wilson) leveled the score with an RBI single to left in the third.
- The Sycamores retook the lead in the bottom of the third with a single tally, then pushed across three in the fourth to make it 5-1. Indiana State added a run in the sixth to build the edge to 6-1.
- Valpo’s final run of the day came on a ninth-inning sacrifice fly by Angel DiFederico (New Haven, Ind. / New Haven).
- Dent enjoyed two hits in the nightcap, while the work of the Valpo bullpen marked another bright spot. Nathan Chasey (Ames, Iowa / Gilbert [Indian-Hills CC]) and Nolan Lebamoff (Fort Wayne, Ind. / Carroll [Kankakee CC]) combined to go 4 1/3 innings without allowing an earned run.
Valpo (5-19, 0-7) and Indiana State (19-8, 6-1) will round out the series on Sunday at noon. The game will be broadcast on ESPN3. Links to live video, audio and stats are available on ValpoAthletics.com.